Information We Collect About You And How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website and our App, including information:
- by which you may be personally identified, such as name, e-mail address, telephone number, geographic location, social media information, background information, or any other information collected on the Website or the App that is defined as personally identifiable information under applicable law (“personal information”); and/or
- about your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website or the App and usage details.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically as you navigate through the site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies.
Information You Give to Us. The information we collect on or through our Website or the App may include:
- Information that you provide on our Website or the App. This includes information provided when you sign up for an account; when you fill out an application; when we process or respond to your inquiries related to requests or your application; and when you provide feedback on our Website or the App.
- Your responses to questions that we might ask you to complete for application purposes.
- Your search queries on the Website.
- Your information provided to AIS when making donations or providing alumni information on the Website.
Information We Collect About You. As with many other websites and mobile applications, as you navigate through and interact with our Website or the App, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Website or the App, including traffic data, location data, logs, language, date and time of access, frequency, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website or the App.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, host domain, and browser type.
- Details of referring websites (URL). We also may use these technologies to collect information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or other online services (behavioral tracking).
The information we collect automatically is statistical data and may include personal information. We may also maintain it or associate it with personal information you provide to us or that we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our Website or the App and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website or the App according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our Website or the App.
As with many other sites, our Website may use “cookies” or other technologies to help us deliver content specific to your interests, to process your reservations or requests, and/or to analyze your visiting patterns. We may collect the following types of information about your visit including: the domain from which you access the Internet; IP address; operating system and information about the device or browser used when visiting the site; date and time of your visit; content you visited or downloaded; and website (such as google.com or bing.com) and website referral source (email notice or social media site) that connected you to the website. Our Website and the App uses two types of cookies: single-session (temporary) and multi-session (persistent). Temporary cookies last only as long as your web browser is open, and are used for technical purposes such as enabling better navigation through our Website or the App. Once you close your browser, the cookie disappears. Persistent cookies are stored on your computer for longer periods and are used for purposes including tracking the number of unique visitors to our site and information such as the number of views a page gets, how much time a user spends on a page, and other pertinent web statistics. Cookies, by themselves, will not be used by AIS to disclose your individual identity. This information identifies your browser, but not you, to our servers when you visit the Website or the App. We do not respond to ‘do not track’ signals in your browser. We may also collect data by using “pixel tags,” “web beacons,” “clear GIFs” or similar means (collectively, “pixel tags”) that allow us to know when you visit our Website or the App. Through pixel tags, we obtain non-personal information or aggregate information that can be used to enhance your online experience and understand traffic patterns.
Information We Receive From Other Sources. This is information we receive about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. We sometimes work with third parties (including, for example, third parties intermediaries with whom we partner to provide you with services, sub-contractors in technical, analytics providers, and search information providers).
How We Use Your Information
We may use information collected about you, including personal information, in the following ways:
- To complete any application or other transactions you request online such as enrolling in classes or programs, payment processing, signing up for events, processing donations, or any other action you request online.
- To operate the App and the Website and perform any services associated with the App or the Website, which may include creating an account for you and communicating with you.
- To provide you with information that you have requested or to respond to your inquiries.
- To determine eligibility for enrollment, employment, financial aid, and other benefits.
- To provide you with technical support and to improve our Website, our App, and services.
- To ensure that content from our Website and the App is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer or mobile phone, to allow you to participate in interactive features of our Website and App (when you choose to do so), and as part of our efforts to keep our App and the Website safe and secure.
- To measure or understand the effectiveness of communications we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant communications to you and to provide you with communications from AIS, surveys, newsletters, and other information.
- To notify you about changes to our services, our Website or the App.
- For any purpose where you have given your consent (where legally required).
- To comply with applicable federal and state law.
Disclosure Of Your Information
We may disclose aggregated, anonymized information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
- To service providers that assist us in the maintenance, improvement and optimization of our Website and the App.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, if you sign up for certain services, we may share your information in order to provide those services.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information or with your consent.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with applicable law.
Choices About How We Use And Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with control over your information:
- Do Not Track. We do not currently respond to “do not track” signals as we do not track our customers across third party websites.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone. The information you share in public areas may be viewed by any user of the Website or the App.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk.
Children Under The Age of 13
In general, neither our Website nor the App is intended for children under 13 years of age, and typically AIS does not knowingly collect or use any personal information from children under the age of 13. However, certain sections of our Website and the App are made available to children under the age of 13 solely for educational purposes and may collect personal information from children under the age of 13. Children under the age of 13 should always ask their parents or guardians for permission before providing any personal information online. We urge parents and guardians to participate in their children's online activities and use parental control or other web filtering technology to supervise children's access to the internet.
Additionally, AIS receives personal information about children under the age of 13 from their parents or guardians at the time of application and when those children are enrolled. For more information about how our Website or the App may collect personal information from children under the age of 13, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.