The Head of the Primary School is responsible for the overall educational leadership and management of grades 3K to 5, whilst playing an active role in the 3K-12 Senior Leadership Team.
The Head of Primary position requires an exceptional educational leader, with well-developed written and verbal communications skills, capacity to build strong relationships, and a willingness to engage at every level with our local community. The successful candidate will be able to navigate complex cultures and demonstrate an international mind-set. He/she will bring a rich experience with national and international curricular frameworks, including the Primary Years Programme of the International Baccalaureate. Personal attributes expected include self-motivation, the ability to think both strategically and tactically, and the flexibility to successfully work within a diverse and demanding school environment. Highly developed technology and financial management skills are required to successfully manage and lead the Primary School. S/he deputizes for the Headmaster upon request, and may assume other school-wide responsibilities as determined annually by the Headmaster.
Reports to: Headmaster
Department: Primary School
Start Date: June/July 2020
Salary and Benefits
Atlanta International School offers a competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
The salary will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s qualifications and experience.
- Supports and advances the mission, vision and strategic plan of the school.
- Supports student learning and achievement through cooperative effort and best practices.
- Supports and promotes the 3K-5 curriculum in line with the IB PYP.
- Supports and advances language learning and intercultural education.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
In the area of Instructional Leadership, the Head of Primary:
- Brings a sound knowledge and understanding of early and late childhood development, keeping the student at the center of the decision-making process,
- Ensures that all Primary faculty demonstrate effective instructional and assessment strategies which measurably enhance student learning and promote the craft of teaching,
- Has a demonstrated track record in coaching, mentoring and holding accountable his/her faculty teams and direct reports,
- Serves as a leader in the field of education and is confident in leading professional development workshops, institutes and seminars,
- Effectively supports the alignment and execution of the school’s strategic action plans for successful curriculum implementation across all areas of the primary school.
In the area of Organizational Management, the Head of Primary:
- Serves as a member of the school’s Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and Academic Council and participates in Board of Trustee meetings, school functions, parent meetings and other such occasions as appropriate,
- Develops and meets annual goals, discussed with and set by the Headmaster, in support of the school’s overall strategic plan,
- Completes an annual written self-appraisal against these annual goals and job description,
- Supervises the Upper Primary, Lower Primary and Early Learning Center Principals to ensure effective functioning of each section of the AIS Primary School,
- Partners with the Head of Admissions to manage the Primary School admissions and enrollment process,
- Supports, manages, and oversees the organization, operation, and use of resources for the Primary school,
- Builds the Primary school master schedule within budgeted staffing parameters with support from the Principals,
- Develops, implements and manages, with support from the Head of Finance and the Headmaster, the Primary school budget, within Board approved parameters
- Collaborates with the Director of Operations to plan for facilities usage in the Primary School.
In the area of School Climate, the Head of Primary:
- Develops and nurtures an internationally minded, balanced, academically rigorous, positive and emotionally safe school climate,
- Collaborates with the Director of Operations and the Senior Manager of Health Services to ensure the physical safety of Primary School students and faculty,
- Promotes and fosters cultural diversity and intercultural competence.
In the area of Human Resources Leadership, the Head of Primary:
- Collaborates with the Headmaster, Head of Equity and Inclusion and Director of Human Resources to recruit, develop, evaluate and retain interculturally competent, high quality instructional and support staff, holding them accountable to defined standards and professional goals,
- Implements timely and robust performance improvement plans to guide personnel requiring additional support.
In the area of Communication and Community Relations, the Head of Primary:
In the area of Professionalism, the Head of Primary:
- Communicates and collaborates effectively to engage all stakeholders, thus promoting understanding, support, and continuous improvement of the school’s programs and services in alignment with the mission, vision and strategic plan of Atlanta International School,
- Ensures that the Community Principles of Atlanta International School are fully implemented within the Primary school community,
- Keeps parent/student and faculty handbooks up-to-date with recent policies.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with legal, ethical, and professional standards, engages in continuous professional development, and contributes to the profession.
- Acts as a role model for faculty, staff, parents and students, showing respect for others and valuing the contributions of all stakeholders.
In the area of Student Progress, the Head of Primary:
- Expects and demands results in student progress consistent with the school’s mission and school-wide goals,
- Collaborates with the Head of Technology & Innovation and the Data Team to effectively monitor and analyze internal and external/standardized test data, fostering data-driven dialogue. Subsequently coaches her/his professional teams of direct reports, teacher leaders and teachers in the establishment and achievement of data driven learning goals, and
- Oversees the implementation of the Primary School Assessment Policy.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
It is expected that candidates for this position will be highly qualified educators with experience leading a faculty. Applicants for this position will have:
- A Master’s Degree or higher in Educational Leadership, Curriculum Studies, or a related field.
- A minimum of ten-years teaching experience, with at least five in a senior administrative role at the Principal, Head of Division, Assistant Head or Head of School Level.
- Demonstrated experience building high performing educational teams and leadership capability at the Principal and Department Head levels.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability and desire to work collaboratively with the community of Atlanta International School and the wider community locally, nationally and internationally. Intercultural competence is key.
- Experience in several facets of the school accreditation process, for example as an accreditation team visitor and/ or a leadership role from within the school.
- Fluency in an additional language such as French, German, Spanish, Chinese is highly desirable.
PARTICULARS OF THE SEARCH
CIS is delighted to announce that Atlanta International School has retained CIS, represented by Joe Cornacchio, in consultation and with support of the CIS Leadership and the School Support & Evaluation Team, to lead the search for the Head of Primary.
If you are interested in this position and meet the criteria, apply now via the link below. Please provide a letter of motivation along with your CV. The letter of motivation should clearly outline your interest in the school and the position you are applying for, what you would bring to the role and how you meet the requirements in the above profile.
Should you progress to the next stage, you will be invited to continue the application process and will be required to provide the following:
- Employment history
- Education history
- University degree/s (copies are sufficient)
- Certificates/licenses confirming qualification in your field/s of expertise (copies are sufficient)
- A copy of the biographical page of your Passport
- Criminal background checks from all countries where you have lived or worked as an adult (copies are sufficient)
- Global sanctions, social media checks, highest educational qualification verification conducted by a background screening agency (shortlisted candidates only)
- Contact details for three supervisory referees
The deadline for applications is Friday, October 25, 2019. Atlanta International School reserves the right to make an appointment before the closing date for applications.
The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Shortlisted candidates will be selected in late October. Finalists will be invited to Atlanta for final interview to meet with the Search Committee, Board and constituent groups at AIS, with the intention of making an appointment shortly thereafter.
Atlanta International School is deeply committed to diversity among our staff, and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Taskforce on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a higher standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.